This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Nito client with hardware server?

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:00 PM
This might be a silly question but can a Nito-based client talk to a "vanilla" TCP/IP server, or is Nito designed to be used on both sides? I'm due to start developing a WPF application that will communicate with an FPGA-based device over TCP/IP, and was wondering if Nito will be suitable.

Not sure if it makes a difference but it will be primarily a request/response communications model, i.e. my app will send a request to the device to read some data, and expect a response back (containing that data).

Thanks in advance
Feb 19, 2015 at 5:48 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2015 at 5:48 PM
Yes, it can be used with any TCP/IP protocol.

There are two levels of abstraction within the Nito Sockets library: one is just a plain TCP/IP socket, and the other is a higher-level wrapper that imposes a certain protocol. The ones that assume a protocol are the "Simple" classes; just use the plain "TcpSocket" classes (not "SimpleTcpSocket") to communicate with a vanilla TCP/IP server.

-Steve

P.S. I have a few blog posts that deal with TCP/IP protocol design; it's a good idea to double-check the device protocol for things like keepalives. http://blog.stephencleary.com/2009/04/tcpip-net-sockets-faq.html